Here are some guidelines for secrets management in AWS that can help you ensure that your sensitive data such as DB credentials, API keys, and other secrets are properly protected.
- Avoid Hardcoding Secrets: Avoid hardcoding secrets such as DB credentials or API keys directly in your code. Instead, store them in a secure location such as AWS Secrets Manager or AWS Systems Manager Parameter Store.
- Use AWS Secrets Manager: AWS Secrets Manager is a fully managed service that enables you to store and manage secrets such as database credentials, API keys, and other sensitive information. Use AWS Secrets Manager to store secrets securely and retrieve them dynamically in your applications.
- Use AWS Systems Manager Parameter Store: AWS Systems Manager Parameter Store is a secure store for configuration data management and secrets management. Use it to store and retrieve application configuration parameters and secrets like database passwords.
- Restrict Access: Ensure that only authorized users or services have access to secrets. Use AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) to control access to your secrets.
- Use KMS for Encryption: Use AWS Key Management Service (KMS) to encrypt your secrets. KMS uses hardware security modules (HSMs) to protect the security of your keys. Use KMS to encrypt secrets stored in Secrets Manager or Parameter Store.
- Use VPC Endpoints: Use VPC endpoints to access Secrets Manager or Parameter Store from within your VPC. This ensures that your secrets are not exposed to the public internet.
- Rotate Secrets Regularly: Rotate your secrets regularly to reduce the risk of exposure. Use AWS Secrets Manager or Parameter Store to automate secret rotation.
- Audit and Monitor Access: Monitor and audit access to your secrets. Use AWS CloudTrail to track API calls to your secrets and detect unauthorized access attempts.
- Use Least Privilege: Apply the principle of least privilege to secrets management. Grant the minimum required permissions to users or services to access secrets.
By following these guidelines, you can ensure that your sensitive data is properly protected and that you comply with security and compliance regulations.